Vegetable of the Month
Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
The carrot is a root vegetable that is often claimed to be the perfect health food.It is crunchy, tasty and highly nutritious.
Carrots have a number of health benefits and are found in many colors, including yellow, white, orange, red and purple.
Vitamins and Minerals
- Vitamin A: Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A promotes good vision, and is important for growth, development, and immune function.
- Biotin: One of the B-vitamins, formerly known as vitamin H. It plays an important role in fat and protein metabolism.
- Vitamin K1: Also known as phylloquinone, vitamin K is important for blood coagulation and can promote bone health.
- Potassium: An essential mineral, important for blood pressure control.
- Vitamin B6: A group of related vitamins that are involved with the conversion of food into energy.
Caramelized Rainbow Carrots c/o Nugget Markets
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8-10 minute
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add carrots and cook, stirring, until carrots are browned all over and tender. Stir in salt, pepper and sugar.
Toss with the herb oil.
A flavorful alternative to butter, this flavored oil can be used to season anything from veggies to roasted meats.
In a large jar, combine all the ingredients, cover and shake vigorously. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Quick tip: Place all the herbs in a food processor and pulse to chop.